Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Otono/Herbst/Autumn

My favorite season has arrived. Or is arriving, at least.Yesterday I even wanted a light fleece in the morning. It's my no-campus day, and I'm enjoying doing laundry while it drips rain outside, and anticipating a nice cup of tea once I get back to my apartment. And I might light the spicy autumn candle on my kitchen table tonight. If you haven't already figured out that I'm obsessed with Fall (based on my blog background, or just talking with me), consider yourself informed.

This weekend Davidson met up with several other schools from North and South Carolina for an RUF Fall Conference at Camp Greystone, just south of Asheville. I think there were about 30 of us from Davidson who went, and it was awesome just to have that time to hang out with students in a non-school setting. Our speaker for the weekend, Rob Edwards, was incredible as well, not only for the family/Athens connection we share, but in the way he clearly presented Sanctification over the course of four sermons, all from the gospel of Luke. Based on our small group discussions afterwards, I think most of us were encouraged and challenged by his talks.

Saturday afternoon was our bit of free time, so I got to spend this time NOT studying (it's still so strange not being a student anymore). Besides canoing with some girls, I also learned to play a few new games - some of them more successfully than others :-). Bananagrams is quite fun - we played this for a while in the Dining Hall while it rained. And Flickerball...haha. This is actually a Davidson sport, played mainly between the Freshmen halls, and then at random between upperclassmen. It's sort of a cross between touch football and ultimate frisbee, so if you can imagine me attempting that... :-). But it was fun at least running around the field with everyone, and my students were awesome in encouraging me the couple of times I actually caught the ball (even if I wasn't so sure what to do with it then).

Mainly, this weekend was awesome for having the chance to participate in a lot of hopefully relational-building activities, and to have some common ground to relate to some of the newer students on.

On a side note, all of us female interns got to stay in a cabin together, which meant we talked way-late after lights out both nights, and I am now so excited to see all my fellow inters again at training next month!

So, it's cool and rainy for the first time since I've been in Davidson, and I love it. Planning to make some Ginger cookies and play apples-to-apples with students this weekend. Hopefully they'll appreciate my obsession with this season :)

1 comment:

  1. ya! autumn is upon us at last - tis wondrous, wondrous, indeed!

    ...and bananagrams is a jolly good game....

    ReplyDelete