Wednesday, September 8, 2010

"Hallelujah"

As of Monday, I am now an official member of the Davidson College Concert Choir, singing 1st Alto in Handel’s Messiah (I’d call myself a mezzo-soprano, but Handel forgot about us when composing the score), to be performed November 22, at 7:30pm in the Duke Family Performance Hall on campus at Davidson.

I know. I hear your objections. Firstly, “um, Anna…you don’t sing. You never have sung. What?” and, “um, didn’t you go to Davidson to minister to students? Aren’t you being supported to work with RUF?” And you are absolutely right, on both accounts.

You see, joining the Concert Choral to sing well and prove my heretofore neglected vocal calling (ha!), is not really the point. Talking with my campus minister, I realized that part of ministry here is using my interests and talents (okay, singing isn’t exactly a talent, but music in general, maybe) as ways to get involved and get to know the Davidson community, and widen the scope of people that I come in contact with. That being said, I’m not going to choir rehearsal on Monday nights with some maniacal vision of gathering up all the innocent choir-goers and herding them to RUF. I just want to have more opportunities to be a part of Davidson, and get to know girls with whom I would not otherwise come in contact. Davidson students are incredibly busy and studious, and maybe this is a way to enter into their world, instead of asking them to do something else. So this is just a start. I’m trying to figure out how to get involved with Spanish & German too, and am potentially going to the Davidson Knitting Club on Saturday (please don’t laugh too hard, although you are entitled to some laughing). On a side note, I love the Messiah, and pretty much know all the music backward and forward, so I’m pretty pumped to have a great excuse to do this, and it should be a good start for someone with very little choir background. My first rehearsal was this Monday, and I LOVED it, and I also got to meet some sweet girls!

So please do pray for me, as I attempt to get involved in life at Davidson, and look for clubs and organizations in which non-students are also allowed to participate.

6 comments:

  1. Anna - SO FUN! Haha I think this is so great, and such a good idea! Have so much fun singing and knitting! I love this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anna, What a great idea! And you will just love singing Messiah! And you do have a lovely voice - always have.
    I can't believe there is a knitting club there!! But you would be perfect for that too and really be able to get to know the girls.
    A perfect use of your God-given interests and talents. Pretty neat.
    Mom
    (Tutoring Spanish/German?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha....a knitting club....now we know why you really wanted to move to davidson!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! I Love that you are getting involved! the more connected you feel the more adjusted you will be and the more you will be able to reach out to others!! i will pray!

    you sound a lot like me...so i will just say, "deep, not wide" is how I tend to build the best relationships with folks..what I mean is..get really involved in a few things that you love and you can go deep with folks..instead of just knowing tons of folks and not knowing any of them really well. will you remind me of that in a few months from now and another few months from that date, too :)?! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahhaa... I love this post because it involves you singing the messiah (and not just to me at home), knitting, and last, but not least, use of the word "heretofore"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm so jealous! I've been trying to find a choir here — and I LOVE singing "Messiah." You will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete